Logo
Charles Knox Freericks's Collection
 
9/19/2017
 
 
 
 
 
By:Charles Knox Freericks
Dates:5/1/1937 - 8/1/1964
Album Info:Not CKF's Images, but photos from C Freericks Collection
  Page Controls   View:  Pics Per Page:
Ex Fast Line car on the decent in Edgewater
Title:  Ex Fast Line car on the decent in Edgewater
Description:  Photographer is unknown - DT/DE/DR streetcar, Rt. 1 - Hudson River, rounds a curve PROW down to Edgewater, having just negotiated the hairpin horseshoe curve out of frame above it. The car had been built for the Public Service Railroad Trenton Fast Line from Newark to Trenton in 1913 (by the Public Service's own shops), and then transferred to the Hudson River Line when the Fast Line lost inerburban service in 1930. This line between Edgwater and Paterson would last until 1938. Today the ROW in the photograph is abandoned in the hillside opposite New Jersey Route 5.
Photo Date:  7/10/1936  Upload Date: 10/30/2009 9:21:33 PM
Location:  Edgewater, NJ
Author:  Unknown
Categories: 
Locomotives:  PSCT 3538(Interurban)
Views:  1504   Comments: 1
Public Service "Hudson River Line" car
Title:  Public Service "Hudson River Line" car
Description:  Here we see a Public Service Deluxe Fast Line car on Route 1, which ran from Edgewater to Paterson. Would love some help with the location if anyone knows. Really has to be either Hackensack or Paterson, I think. Exact date and photographer are both unknown.
Photo Date:  5/1/1937  Upload Date: 4/12/2010 9:41:17 PM
Location:  Fort Lee, NJ
Author:  Charles Knox Freericks
Categories: 
Locomotives:  PSCT 3527(Interurban)
Views:  1908   Comments: 0
Public Service NRHS Special at Coytsville Wye
Title:  Public Service NRHS Special at Coytsville Wye
Description:  DT/DE/DR streetcar marked for Rt 1-Hudson River with NRHS special. The Coytsville Line was abandoned three years prior to this trip, on June 1, 1933. At this point, Public Service was getting close to abandoning all service in Bergen County. Coytsville today is the northern part of Fort Lee. Photographer is unknown.
Photo Date:  6/6/1937  Upload Date: 4/12/2010 9:37:08 PM
Location:  Fort Lee, NJ
Author:  Unknown
Categories: 
Locomotives:  PSCT 3532(Interurban)
Views:  2934   Comments: 0
Public Service Plow at Roseville Car House
Title:  Public Service Plow at Roseville Car House
Description:  Photographer Richard H Young of Clifton, New Jersey took this shot of Public Service Coordinated Transport plow #5245 sitting at the Roseville Car House, amid a collection of other none revenue cars. There is an unknown sweeper in front of it. To its side is another sweeper, #5190, and behind it is yet another sweeper, #5192. The Roseville Car House was in the Essex Division. Plow #5245 was built by Public Service Railways at their Plank Road Shops in 1921. It survives today at the Shore Line Trolley Museum in Brandford, CT, where it arrived on Jne 27, 2007, after being stored unused in the Newark City Subway for almost 55 years.
Photo Date:  10/23/1937  Upload Date: 3/25/2009 11:06:43 PM
Location:  Newark, NJ
Author:  Richard H Young
Categories: 
Locomotives:  PSCT 5245(Trolley)
Views:  1135   Comments: 0
Public Service Open Cars
Title:  Public Service Open Cars
Description:  Photographer Richard H Young of Clifton, New Jersey took this shot of 1915 era and 1917 era open Public Service double trucked trolleys sitting out the cold days of November in Newark, while a more appropriate for the season closed car (I think a 2600 series, maybe) sits under the barn. Built by Public Service, the open cars had 16 benches and were as described, wide open to the elements, and thus, only for summer or spring use.
Photo Date:  11/11/1937  Upload Date: 3/25/2009 11:06:54 PM
Location:  Newark, NJ
Author:  Richard H Young
Categories: 
Locomotives:  PSCT 4089(Trolley) PSCT 4169(Trolley)
Views:  964   Comments: 0
Hudson River Car Line Interuban on Main St
Title:  Hudson River Car Line Interuban on Main St
Description:  Photographer La Mar M Kelley of Elkhart, Indiana captured this wonderful image of a 1912 era New Jersey Public Service Railway built 3500 interurban stopping at the New York, Susquehanna & Western depot at Main and Mercer in downtown Hackensack. Cars on this line ran from the ferry terminal at Edgewater to the Hudson River Line's terminus in Paterson (with some cars turning around in Maywood). This image was snapped with only six days left for the line, which was abandoned on August 5, 1938 by the then renamed Public Service Coordinated Transport. Kelley, an early member of the Central Electric Railfans' Association, died January 5, 1948 "in railroad service." #3519 was built in 1912 at the Public Service Newark Shops for the Bergen Division. It was scrapped at Passaic Wharf in Newark during 1938/39.
Photo Date:  7/31/1938  Upload Date: 3/7/2009 2:13:45 AM
Location:  Hackensack, NJ
Author:  La Mar M Kelley
Categories: 
Locomotives:  PCST 3519(Interurban)
Views:  404   Comments: 0
Nearing the end of the "Hudson River Line"
Title:  Nearing the end of the "Hudson River Line"
Description:  A Public Service trolley on the Hudson River Line is inspected by its motorman in Paramus NJ. This service was abandoned on August 5, 1938. The photo has a notation on the back "8/38, abandoned a week later." The Hudson River Line took one from the ferry terminal in Edgewater to Paterson, via Hackensack, and was the only "railroad" in Paramus. The car is a 1913 product of Public Service's own shops. The very last run would be made by this car's sister, 3540. Photographer is unknown. #3532 was built in 1912 at the Public Service Newark Shops for the Bergen Division. It was scrapped at Passaic Wharf in Newark during 1938/39.
Photo Date:  8/1/1938  Upload Date: 12/24/2008 2:11:13 AM
Location:  Paramus, NJ
Author:  Unknown
Categories: 
Locomotives:  PSCT 3532(Interurban)
Views:  403   Comments: 1
Public Service Freight Motor
Title:  Public Service Freight Motor
Description:  Image was captured by Richard H. Young of Clifton NJ. Per his notes, "Public Service Coordinated Transport freight motor #5218 rests on a siding in the Hackensack Car Yard two days before abandonment of the Hudson River Line." That being said, this trolley looks exactly like the Line Cars in the book "Public Service Railway Bergen Division" by Sennstrom and Francis, and I don't know of any freight on the Hudson River Line, so I believe that this is a 5400 series Line Car and would have later been numbered in the 5400-5419 block. I cannot explain the numbering discrepency.
Photo Date:  8/3/1938  Upload Date: 10/18/2009 10:58:15 PM
Location:  Hackensack, NJ
Author:  Richard H Young
Categories: 
Locomotives:  PSCT 5218(Trolley)
Views:  708   Comments: 0
PSCT 3511
Title:  PSCT 3511
Description:  Image is by Richrd H. Young of Clifton NJ. Just two days before the end of all service on Line 1, the Hudson River Line, a 3510 series Public Service Coordinate Transit 1912 trolley (double trucked #3511 in the company's duco red and yellow/cream livery) head over the Erie's New Jersey and New York Division at speed. The car was 34" 6" long. It was built in Public Service's Newark Shops in 1912 for the Bergen Divison where it served its entire life, delivered to Edgewater car house in August of 1912. It seated 52 passengers and was rebuilt in 1927. It was scrapped at Passaic Wharf within a year of this picture.
Photo Date:  8/3/1938  Upload Date: 10/18/2009 10:58:39 PM
Location:  Hackensack, NJ
Author:  Richard H Young
Categories: 
Locomotives:  PSCT 3511(Interurban)
Views:  882   Comments: 1
James Street Watchman's Tower
Title:  James Street Watchman's Tower
Description:  Looking north at the watchman's tower at James Street and Railroad Avenue on the New Jersey and New York Railroad between Central and Passaic. For many decades watchmen controlled the manual crossing gates on the Pascack Valley Line of the Erie Lackawanna from these iconic towers running through the county seat of Bergen County. Photrographer is unknown.
Photo Date:  8/1/1964  Upload Date: 12/24/2008 2:05:31 AM
Location:  Hackensack, NJ
Author:  Unknown
Categories: 
Locomotives: 
Views:  1164   Comments: 0
Maple and Clinton Watchtower
Title:  Maple and Clinton Watchtower
Description:  One of the many crossing gate watchtowers in Hackensack, NJ... this one was located alongside Linden in the block between Maple Avenue and Clinton Place. Camera is aimed south (railroad east) looking towards Maple Place, and then Anderson Street one block further, which is lost in the blown out white area. Note the electric wires running along the ground from the tower towards Clinton Place at the lower right center section of the frame. Photorapher is also unknown.
Photo Date:  8/1/1964  Upload Date: 12/24/2008 2:05:43 AM
Location:  Hackensack, NJ
Author:  Unknown
Categories: 
Locomotives: 
Views:  1176   Comments: 0
Passaic Street Watchman's Tower
Title:  Passaic Street Watchman's Tower
Description:  Looking north at the Passaic Street watchman's tower on the New Jersey and New York Railroad. At this date (and for almost 15 more years) the watchman controlled the manual crossing gates on the then Pascack Valley Line of the Erie Lackawanna from this tower. Photrogragpher is Unknown.
Photo Date:  8/1/1964  Upload Date: 12/24/2008 2:05:57 AM
Location:  Hackensack, NJ
Author:  Unknown
Categories: 
Locomotives: 
Views:  1729   Comments: 0
Passaic Street Watchman's Tower
Title:  Passaic Street Watchman's Tower
Description:  Looking south at the Passaic Street watchman's tower on the New Jersey and New York Railroad and a 1950 Cadillac turning off of Railroad Avenue (looks like a 1961 Ford Falcon parked at the curb). At this date (and for almost 15 more years) the watchman controlled the manual crossing gates on the then Pascack Valley Line of the Erie Lackawanna from this tower. Photrogragpher is Unknown.
Photo Date:  8/1/1964  Upload Date: 12/24/2008 2:06:08 AM
Location:  Hackensack, NJ
Author:  Unknown
Categories: 
Locomotives: 
Views:  1477   Comments: 1
Anderson Street Watchman's Tower
Title:  Anderson Street Watchman's Tower
Description:  This little tower was located at the northeast corner of the interesection of the New Jersey & New York Railroad (the Pascack Valley Line of the Erie Lackawanna) and Anderson Street, and was used by the local watchman who controlled the manual crossing gates for the six southbound, six northbound, and one roundtrip freight a day. Built around 1910, this structure would actually survive well into the 1970s (I believe automatic gates were installed around 1978 or so). Photographer is unknown.
Photo Date:  8/1/1964  Upload Date: 12/24/2008 2:05:11 AM
Location:  Hackensack, NJ
Author:  Unknown
Categories: 
Locomotives: 
Views:  1347   Comments: 5
LHR NE3
Title:  LHR NE3
Description:  Lehigh & Hudson River train passing under the Erie Lackawanna, less than year before they both disappeared into Conrail. This is a westbound -- NE-3 (out of Maybrook), that would drop its train at Hudson Yard, Phillipsburg, where the Lehigh Valley would pick it up and take it to Allentown over their route.
Photo Date:  9/16/1975  Upload Date: 8/30/2010 3:36:45 PM
Location:  Huntsville, NJ
Author:  Ray Wetzel
Categories: 
Locomotives:  LHR 24(C420) LHR 27(C420)
Views:  2198   Comments: 6
LHR 24 & 29
Title:  LHR 24 & 29
Description:  A pair of Lehigh & Hudson River C420s wait for their next assignment on a moody day in Warwick NY. Number 24 was delivered from Schenectady in December of 1965. Number 29, the highest numbered engine on the LHR roster, was delviered in July of 1966. In an interesting aside, #24 almost never made it to the roster, it was mooving dead-in-train with sister #23 behind the road power of an eastbound CNJ train that collided head on with a westbound LV train while on the LV at Laurel Run, PA, the day after Christmas 1965. Both were returned to Alco for repairs. Number 24 It became Conrail 2074 in April 1976. It was sold to Maryland & Delware as 54 and then to Arkansas & Missouri as 54 in 1986. Number 29 became Conrail 2077 in April 1976. It was sold to Delaware & Hudson as 401, and later renumbered 420. They sold it to A&M as 58.
Photo Date:  9/25/1975  Upload Date: 11/2/2010 11:23:21 PM
Location:  Warwick, NY
Author:  Ray Wetzel
Categories: 
Locomotives:  LHR 24(C420) LHR 29(C420)
Views:  2147   Comments: 0
L&HR Limecrest Quarry pick up
Title:  L&HR Limecrest Quarry pick up
Description:  L&HR C420s #24 and #29 work at Limecrest a few months before the Conrail takeover. The L&HR was a railfan friendly operation and Ray Wetzel spent a lot of time documenting its final days.
Photo Date:  10/2/1975  Upload Date: 5/23/2011 10:27:58 PM
Location:  Lafayette, NJ
Author:  Ray Wetzel
Categories: 
Locomotives:  LHR 24(C420) LHR 29(C420)
Views:  3342   Comments: 7
DH 1216
Title:  DH 1216
Description:  The Delaware & Hudson "Slate Picker" crosses the Champlain Canal behind the D&H's two used (but snazzy) Sharknose RF16s. This train served the Washington Branch. Its name harked back to the slate industry that existed on the branch, all the way back to the 19th Century. The diesels were ex New York Central, purchased from the Monogahela Railway in 1974. The last two Baldwin RF-16 "Sharks" in the world at this time, they were part of a preservation project under Carl B. Sterzing Jr. D&H CEO. They were sold upon his retirement.
Photo Date:  8/17/1977  Upload Date: 10/23/2010 7:43:08 PM
Location:  Whitehall, NY
Author:  Ray Wetzel
Categories: 
Locomotives:  DH 1216(RF-16A)
Views:  2039   Comments: 8


Site Design ©2001-2016 Tim Huemmer
Photos © respective authors
  Contact: info@rrpicturearchives.net